Friday, June 10, 2011

What's in a name?

Buzzwords in the news this week have included funny things like Weinergate, Weiner Scandal, Weiner Sexting.  The media is surely getting a kick out of it all and coming up with every possible use of the word "Weiner," it seems.

But locally, I've been keeping my eye on the growing list of Orange County charities whose nonprofit status has been revoked this week, and I can't help but laugh like a 5 year old here too (In 2007, laws changed regarding filing a charitie's financial reports, and over 275,000 charities nationwide have failed to comply). 

Let me preface this by saying I am VERY passionate about the nonprofit sector and the success of nonprofits that do good work.  I think you all know this.  This issue is by no means laughable, but I get a kick out of the causes that are supported by our community (welp, not after Thursday...)

Behold, my top 10 list in no particular order:

10. Sled Riders Motorcycle Club (so do you ride sleds or motorcycles?)
9. Your Favorite Charity (the power of using positive psychology at its best!)
8. American Darts Organization (guess they missed the bullseye!)
7. Hoi Ai Huu Bentre Kienhoa (something tells me that if the IRS doesn't understand your name, they might not like you...)
6. Irvine Rose Parade Float (really? you need 501 (c)(3) status for this?)
5. Orange County Chincilla Club (there's a pot for every lid, i guess...)
4. Knee and Laser Institute (is that all?)
3. Not One Square Inch (of what?)
2. Triple X Fraternity Orange County (dirty bastards)
1. Orange County Federation of Lesbian (just one?)

No comments: