Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Big Changes Create BIG Results

There's been something BIG on my mind lately... something life changing, scary, exciting...something that has consumed my thoughts to the point of no return.  What if this, what if that, what if, what if, what if...
I don't get too personal on the blog these days but I guarantee you'll be hearing about it if and when it happens. 
In the mean time, I've been coming across so much reading material (blogs, quotes, excerpts from books) that have me convinced I'm not alone in my neuroses.  I don't know exactly what my future holds but I'm beginning to make a more conscious effort to be happy, to find joy in the every day, and to put in valiant effort towards "life," foregoing the constant and consuming worry.
I came across an excerpt from Committed, by Elizabeth Gilbert... one of my all-time favorite authors.  The book is next on my reading list but in the mean time, she's certainly whet my appetite with this one:

"The problem, simply put, is that we cannot choose everything simultaneously. So we live in danger of becoming paralyzed by indecision, terrified that every choice might be the wrong choice…Equally disquieting are the times when we do make a choice, only to later feel as though we have murdered some other aspect of our being by settling on one single concrete decision. By choosing Door Number Three, we fear we have killed off a different but equally critical piece of our soul that could have only been made manifest by walking through Door Number One or Door Number Two… All these choices and all this longing can create a weird kind of haunting in our lives, as though the ghosts of all our other, unchosen, possibilities linger forever in a shadow world around us, continuously asking “Are you certain this is what you really wanted?"

No comments: